Animal Control

The Police Department staff includes Community Service Officers responsible for control of domestic animals and pets. A city ordinance prohibits allowing dogs, cats or other domestic animals to run at large. This means that pets must be leashed and under your control when off of your property. Also, owners are responsible for cleaning up after their pet.

Complaints - Domestic Animals

Call 651-439-9381 to register a complaint with the animal control officer.

Complaints - Non-Domestic Animals

Wildlife are a natural occurrence and the Cottage Grove Police Department responds if the animal is an immediate threat to safety. If you need assistance with wildlife removal please visit the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources for more information or contact them at 651-296-6157.

You can also contact the Wildlife Rehabilitation Center 651-486-9453 or the Raptor Center for Injured Birds at 612-624-4745.


Licenses are required in Cottage Grove for all dogs six months and older. Sometimes dogs wander or become lost. The license tag helps animal control officers locate the owner. Visit the dog license page for more information.

Lost Pets

If an owner cannot be identified or located, the Cottage Grove Police Department will transport the lost pet to the Woodbury Animal Humane Society.

For contact information and hours of service, visit their website.

More information about animal ordinances can be found in Title 5, Chapter 4 of the City Code. For additional information or if you have any questions, please contact the Police Department at 651-458-2850.

Living With Foxes and Coyotes

Fox and Coyote Newsletter