The Public Safety Department offers citizens an exciting opportunity to develop an understanding and awareness of operational policies and procedures related to Police, Fire, and Emergency Medical Services (EMS). Participants in the Citizen's Academy will experience a variety of topics taught by police officers, firefighters, or experts in particular fields including:
- Hands-on exercises
The Academy is designed to create a safer community by building an understanding and partnership between the citizens of Cottage Grove and members of the Public Safety Department.
Goals of the Academy
To enhance public safety, understand law enforcement strategies and problems, reduce crime and provide crime prevention strategies, build relationships with the citizens, and create public safety ambassadors to the community.
Mission of the Academy
The Mission of the Academy is twofold:
- To promote understanding of contemporary law enforcement issues, and
- To help citizens learn about and gain a better appreciation for the challenges and accomplishments of Cottage Grove's Public Safety Department.
The Cottage Grove Citizen's Academy is an 8-week program held once a year in late summer or early fall. Class size is limited to 20 participants and Academy graduates will receive a Certificate of Completion from the City of Cottage Grove.
- Next Session: to be determined
- Cost: None! This free program offered by the Public Safety Department includes a free polo "uniform" shirt to wear at each session
- Eligibility: At least 18 years of age, live, own a business, or work in the cities of Cottage Grove, St. Paul Park, or Newport, and must pass a background investigation check (No law enforcement students please)
- Download the Citizen's Academy Application (PDF)
- Deadline: to be determined
- Contact Captain Gwen Martin by email or at 651-458-2850.