With change, comes opportunity. The former Mississippi Dunes Golf Course property presents such an opportunity. Although the property is in private ownership, the City has identified this parcel of land as a key component to achieving its strategic plan initiative to improve public access to the Mississippi River. To that end, the City of Cottage Grove is currently undergoing a master planning study to best address the potential for future public park land on a portion of this property as private redevelopment occurs.
Timeline of events
- Feb. 2: The city approved the former Mississippi Dunes Golf Course environmental assessment worksheet finding that no environmental impact statement is required.
- Sept. 22-Nov. 1: Master Plan Revision Based on Public Engagement.
- Oct. 7: Public Engagement: Mississippi Dunes Open House at City Hall.
- Nov. 3: Mississippi Dunes Master Plan presented at the City Council Workshop. You can watch this presentation on the city's YouTube channel.
- Nov. 8: Parks Commission Review of Master Plan.
- Nov. 22: Planning Commission Review of Master Plan.
- Dec. 1: City Council Review of Master Plan.
These documents help explain key components of this important project.
- Final environmental assessment worksheet
- Findings of fact
- Notice of decision
- Master plan (view it as a PDF by clicking here or see the plan below)
Mississippi Dunes Master Plan
The Mississippi Dunes project offers a unique opportunity to provide additional access to the Mississippi River and Water Trails Network.
- Reserve valuable river front area as part of the redevelopment of the site to single family and medium-density housing.
- Ensure enough space is reserved for useful, high-quality recreation space and river access where housing and open space benefit each other.