2022 Zoning Update
The City of Cottage Grove has completed a zoning code update. The previous zoning code was adopted in 1971, over 50 years ago. Although the code has been adjusted throughout the years, it has not seen a major revision since its adoption. The intent of the update is to establish a code that ensures Cottage Grove continues to be a great place to live, work, and play.
The zoning code revision was approved at the Dec. 21 city council meeting. It went into effect on Jan. 1, 2023.
Email CGPlanning@CottageGroveMN.gov with comments and suggestions.
What is a Zoning Code?
Zoning codes are the rules that determine what can be built and where in each city. They are the primary tool the City of Cottage Grove uses to implement the vision of the 2040 Comprehensive Plan.
What is the purpose of the Zoning Code Update?
- Ensure a balanced community
- Regulate specific uses within each zoning district
- Create stability within districts
- Predict the range of uses and building types within each zoning district
Why update the city’s current Zoning Code?
- Provide consistency with changes to state statute and laws that have changed over the years
- Align the code with the city’s 2040 comprehensive plan
- Address inconsistencies, issues, and topics identified by the City Council, city staff, and the public
- Have a user-friendly code that is understandable and applicable to current standards
What is the 2040 comprehensive plan?
- The 2040 comprehensive plan was adopted in 2020. It is a guide for community growth, redevelopment, and overall improvement of the city
- The plan includes the city’s land use plan, goals, objectives, and direction of the community related to housing, economic development, transportation, parks and trails, open space, and utilities
- More information on the 2040 comprehensive plan can be found at CottageGroveMN.gov/ComprehensivePlan
What are some of the potential changes to the Zoning Code?
- Changes to the Zoning Code will provide more flexibility to residential property owners
- Create the ability to reorganize, reformat, and consolidate zoning code
- Create the potential to address development topics that need additional consideration
How could my property be affected in the Zoning Code update?
- Most property zones will be unaffected. For specific information relating to your property, please visit our interactive map.
- The current and proposed zoning maps are also available in the tab to the right.