The Cottage Grove Fire Department provides fire and fall prevention home visits for residents aged 65 and older.
Why should I schedule a home visit?
- People are twice as likely to be killed or injured by fire at age 65, three times as likely at age 75 and four times as likely at age 85.
- 30% of people aged 65+ are involved in falls, many fatal or permanently disabling.
What will happen during a home visit?
Home visits last about 60 minutes. During the visit, firefighter/paramedics will:
- Review medical history and medications
- Check vital signs
- Examine balance and walking abilities
- Review nutrition
- Analyze cognitive function
- Survey the home for fire hazards
- Survey the home for fall hazards
Fire and fall prevention home visits can help seniors stay in their homes longer by promoting a safe living environment.
Home visits can be scheduled by contacting the Fire Department at CommunityParamedic@CottageGroveMN.gov or 651-458-2859.