While outdoor recreation fires and fire pits can bring families and friends together, campfire mishaps can also cause injuries. The Cottage Grove Fire Department asks you to please follow a few simple safety tips to prevent injuries and accidents:
· The size of a fire should be no more than three feet wide and two feet high.
· The fire should be no closer than 25 feet from any structures or other combustibles.
· If the fire is in an approved enclosure, like an outdoor fire place or a substantial pit, the fire should be no closer than 15 feet from structures or other combustibles.
· Never use gasoline or other combustible liquids to help ignite a fire.
· Wind speeds should not be more than 15 miles per hour.
· Campfires are not for disposal. Open burning for disposal in the City does require a permit.
· Have a three foot “kids free zone” around the fire.
· Be sure to have accessible means to extinguish the fire, such as a garden hose or fire extinguisher.
· Always be in attendance of a campfire until it is extinguished.
· If your clothes catch on fire “STOP, DROP & ROLL.”
· Treat a burn right away with cool water and cover it with a clean, dry cloth. Call 9-1-1 if needed.
· If roasting marshmallows, help young children and keep in mind that heated metal skewers can cause burns.